polyurethane over general finishes gel stain

06/12/2020 Uncategorized

The High Performance can be brushed or … It won't penetrate like stain, so you won't get the same grain patterns. If it doesn't stick, it's polyurethane. Therefore, preparation must include scraping and sanding, both to remove loose or peeling stain and varnish, and to dull the varnish. Today we're going to discuss refinishing existing oak cabinets with General Finishes Gel Stain, dubbed the "One-Coat Wonder" by Amy from High Style Restyle in Dallas because of its exceptional coverage. As with all wood finishes, good results depend on smooth, clean wood surfaces, but this goes double with clear finishes such as polyurethane. If it sticks to the finish it's varnish, shellac or lacquer, and you can't use gel stain on it. Unlike traditional oil-and-water-based stains, gel stain is very easy to apply by wiping it on with a brush versus having to rub it in like most stains. Wood Turner's Finish. ... How To Layer Gel Stain Over Dye Stain. Gel Topcoat is thick, while Arm-R-Seal is much thinner, and is easier to apply large projects. Enduro-Var wood finish is a self-crosslinking, oil-modified, water-based polyurethane that looks more like an oil varnish than a water coating. Water Based Wood Stains and Dye Stains. Specializing in hardwood furniture, trim carpentry, cabinets, home improvement and architectural millwork, Wade Shaddy has worked in homebuilding since 1972. The pigment remains in the urethane after it dries. EXAMPLE: option, and Arm-R-Seal or Gel Topcoat for oil based options. More, America's Leading Manufacturer of Innovative Water-Based Wood Finishes, Manufacturer Account Custom Coatings Registration Form, COMPARE Paints, Glazes & Pigmented Topcoats, COMPARE Primers, Sanding Sealers & Undercoats, Water Based Paints, Glazes and Pigmented Top Coats, Enduro Ready to Match (RTM) Water Based Stain, Fill Sticks -NEW Assortment Pack of 15 Color Groups, Touch Up Markers - NEW Assortment Pack of 15 Color Groups, Water Based Paints, Pearl Effects & Glazes, High Performance Polyurethane Water Based Topcoat, Fill Stick and Touch Up Marker Assortment Pack. I'm sure with their help you'll get the look you want, but it is a huge disappointment and set back to have to do work over … Applying Gel Stain Over Paint. To fix, sand the table lightly with 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table. The high urethane content of General Finishes Gel Stains results in a lustrous finish that tends to fool people into assuming no sealant is required. This clear finish can also be used over stained surfaces that have thoroughly dried. -Large surfaces such as cabinets or tables are easier to cover with liquid top ... How General Finishes Tests Color Pull on Water Based Stains VS. carry a LOT of color to any surface, but that color must be sealed in with top Shaddy began publishing in various magazines in 1992, and published a novel, “Dark Canyon,” in 2008. -If you choose to mix water and oil based products, be sure to wait 72 hours Oil-based products include General Finishes Gel Topcoat or General Finishes Arm-R-Seal. Gel stains, as all wood stains, were formulated to go over raw wood which has an "open" surface and can absorb some of the stain. Oil-based stain (like General Finishes Gel Stain) goes with an oil-based topcoat (like Wipe-On Poly or regular polyurethane), and vice versa. If you would like to learn more about how to use the gel stain over the existing stain, read my post here. Follow up with another coat of polyurethane. because it looked and felt "finished" she let the desk cure for a week, They are very helpful. The Competition. The next day, Chris spent a few hours working You can paint over gel stain as long as the surface is free of peeling stain or varnish, and it is sanded and primed. water. First of all, yes, your gel stain furniture (whether it’s gel stain kitchen cabinets, table top, or bookshelf) needs to have a top coat. General Finishes Java Gel Stain (or the color of your choice — but General Finishes is the best brand for sure!) Sand your wood with at least 220-grit sandpaper. brands of gel stains also vary both in their handling charac-teristics and in their color ren-dition of the same named Easy to apply, these stains are forgiving, even on blotch-prone woods BY TERI MASASCHI Gel Stain User’s Guide W A tale of two stains. Enduro-Var water-based topcoat adheres well ONLY over WATER STAINS, DYE STAINS and RAW WOOD. Allow it to dry for two hours. Just like with test 2, I applied three coats of stain with an old sock over the course of 5 days. Check out the before and after pictures and learn how to refinish kitchen cabinets or any cabinetry or furniture your heart desires with this general finishes gel stain … Use Enduro-Var over any other surfaces at your own risk. For open-grain woods (like oak , ash, or walnut), you can apply a wood grain filler before the polyurethane, to create an ultra-smooth finished surface. Do be sure to wear gloves because the stain will get all over your hands. between the two products. Drag a paint brush over the surface of the wet stain to add faux grain patterns if desired. I adore this brand. APPROXIMATE COVERAGE: 200 sq. Gel stain doesn't work with varnish, lacquer or shellac -- only polyurethane. Apply as many coats of the mix as needed to obtain the desired color, allowing 24-hour dry time between coats. It has never failed me. Don't be afraid to experiment. Provide a consistent, even coat by continuously folding the cloth, using a dry portion of it for each pass. drying out. If a water based product is under an oil based Thought id give it a try before doing extra steps! Shaddy has also worked as a newspaper reporter and writer, and as a contributing writer for Bicycling Magazine. Dip a scouring pad into a 5-/50 solution of denatured alcohol and water. If needed, it can be thinned by adding 10% For top coats, we recommend water base High Performance if you want a clear coat with quick dry time or Arm-R-Seal oil based polyurethane if you want more ambering qualities. is required. tutorial on this topic: http://youtu.be/yDKZFGvpYpw The urethane in the gel bonds to the existing polyurethane on your project. General Finishes Gel Stain Colors – CLICK HERE Varathane Gel Stain Colors – CLICK HERE Minwax Gel Stain Colors – CLICK HERE 6. A gel stain is more like paint than stain. GENERAL PRACTICE: considering the project complete. The high urethane content of General Finishes Gel Stains Think of gel stain as a type of opaque paint. Apply the gel stain to the wood with a soft cloth. Cleaning is paramount to good adhesion of gel stain. ft/qt (because maybe you apply it REALLY thick and this … This gel stain works beautifully on wood. General Finishes focuses on state of the art water-base finishes and waterbourne coatings, and is the country's leader in waterbased finish technology offering wood stains, dye stains, top coats, gel stains, exterior wood finishes, liquid oilbase stains, water based lacquers furniture paint. PRODUCTS FEATURED: GENERAL FINISHES GEL STAIN: Brown Mahogany. How to Layer Water Based Stain over Dye Stain. Now is the fun part – applying the gel stain over paint! Wipe off the residue with a dampened rag and allow it to dry. Didn’t strip them or anything and this product worked wonderfully going right over the paint. If it's an older finish, test it to make sure it's polyurethane. You shouldn't put a water based finish over an oil based gel stain. Gel Polyurethane is recommended for use on interior wood surfaces. Allow the gel stain to dry for at least 24 hours, 48 hours is best. On the downside, gel stain is not available in as many color options as traditional stains. Sand the surface lightly by hand with 400-grit sandpaper. -For more information regarding the differences between GF top coats, visit the General finishes gel stain tutorial using antique walnut gel stain to refinish kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities in our first flip! General Finishes suggests using High Performance Top Coat for a water based water based product and it is essential that the first is dry before applying the The pigment remains in the urethane after it dries. I started out by trying my tried and true favorites….General Finishes Gel Stains. This Java Gel Stain (1 QUART SIZE) from General Finishes is quite possibly one of the easiest of all finishes to use and achieve a "hand-rubbed" look without all the work. ANSWER: All stains need a top coat. It ambers slightly, is highly water resistant, and is both sprayable and brushable. GEL STAIN: Polyurethane works fine on unstained, natural wood. As I mentioned before I used *General Finishes Gel Stain in “Java”. -Enduro Professional Top Coats are thinner and are intended to be sprayed coat rather than a gel top coat. I have used their water based poly, but I would call them and ask them what works best with what you used being the Gel stain which I do believe works with the water based poly acrylic. over her elbows and realized that her mouse pad had rubbed away some of the An added bonus of top coat is that it also protects the wood from TOM. following blog post:http://bit.ly/1kYWbb3, America's leading manufacturer of innovative water-based finishes. Gel stain contains urethane, which is the primary ingredient in polyurethane. Always allow 72-hour dry time when applying water-based products over oil-based products. Some woodworkers go with even higher grits, but it's not necessary, and can result in the closing off of wood pores, making polyurethane less effective. The fast dry poly rattle can stuff does have strong solvents in it. In addition to this non-permeable surface factor, General Finishes Gel Stain is an oil-based product, and it is more difficult to obtain proper drying characteristics over a dense manufactured surface such as laminate. Gel stain contains urethane, which is the primary ingredient in polyurethane. Clean the surface. I am jumping on the gel stain bandwagon. The beauty of Gel Stain comes from the thick urethane which can carry a LOT of color to any surface, but that color must be sealed in with top coat. For a glassier finish, sand it with progressively finer grits up to 220-grit. I like to use the gel stain over the existing stain because you do not have to strip the original finishes. Gel stains provide great coverage over existing finishes because they are full-bodied and pigment-rich. I used a foam brush to apply a thick layer of the stain, then used staining pads to wipe it off. Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane in Clear Satin (for protecting the gel stain) Primer (for the trim — optional — my paint had primer in it, and it worked great) Find more information about Oil Based Gel Stains here. If you really want to change the color without stripping, gel stain can do it. This serves to rough up the surface, allowing the gel stain to stick to it better. Appropriate for mill work, furniture, cabinets, garage doors, windows, decks, and more. Click hear to watch a GF video It would not necessarily make it easier to apply, though, since the viscosity will remain the same; it would just weaken the color; become more transparent. products with water based top coats. General Finishes Gel Stain on knotty pine. General Finishes Gel stain was the way to go. ANSWER: All stains need a top coat. SO very glad I did! If you are staining raw wood, I personally would use penetrating stain as it is less expensive than gel stain and gives a better finish on raw wood than gel stain. second. GEL STAIN OVER MDF. It is easy to re-stain wood with gel stain, but requires a lot more work to re-stain wood with traditional penetrating wood stain. at her new desk. Unless the gel stain was water based use an oil based poly. Scrub the surface to remove dirt, grime, wax or any other contaminate from the wood. Gel stain works on most surfaces from wooden to metal, and even painted surfaces can be gel stained. between the two products since you are moving from an oil based product to a Urethane is also used as the carrier for pigment. Sanding it beforehand with 120-grit sandpaper is sufficient. 1) Can Java Gel Stain be used on cabinets that have been painted? Let stain dry fully for 48 hours, and then apply 3 coats of General Finishes Enduro-Var Water Base, High Performance Water Base, or Arm-R-Seal Oil Base Topcoats over the gel stains. The gel stain on the left imparts an even color over the whole piece of wood. ... No poly had been put on either of these cabinets at this time, but I’ll put a few coats on the finished real kitchen cabinets once I finish them. I know it looks like gel stain doesn’t need a finish coat but it does! It's advisable to run some tests on an inconspicuous area or a piece of scrap wood beforehand to ensure that the effect is what you're looking for. WHICH TOP COAT SHOULD I CHOOSE? Years ago, Chris from General Finishes made the mistake of not adding top coat And be sure to check out my general finishes gel stain tutorial to see my before and after photos of the gel stain kitchen cabinets! Ideal … Bummer. Here are General Finishes recommended dry times for applying multiple coats of Gel Stain and Gel Topcoat over an existing finish. It seems everyone has used something different. That gel stain sets very rapidly is a known issue. General makes a poly gel varnish that would do what is suggested above. Dip a cotton ball in fingernail polish remover -- acetone -- and dab it on the finish. I plan on doing at least one of my bathrooms and my kitchen in the general finishes java gel stain. I am very confused as to which topcoat is the best for these areas. It gives a nice and unique … Find your answer in General finishes Java Gel Stain FAQs . It's not a common practice, but you can apply stain -- if it's gel stain -- over polyurethane. The instructions say recoat within 2 hours or wait 72 hours. General Finishes is actually a wonderful product. Painting Exterior Surfaces Gel stain has to be varnished when used on exterior surfaces. High Performance Polyurethane Water Based Topcoat. Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. I used Java Gel by General Finishes for the top of the buffet as well as the table top. If the stain isn't covering well, or it's too light, repeat adding another coat of stain. Think of To improve adherence of the stain, mix 2 parts Gel Stain with one part Gel Satin Topcoat. Here is a GF video tutorial: http://bit.ly/1wuurwI Gel stains are relatively new, and can be used in different ways. results in a lustrous finish that tends to fool people into assuming no sealant coat. Think of stain as the color and top coat as the sealer and protectant. Hi! *If you choose to use High Performance, make sure that you wait 72 hours For items such as bookcases or wall shelves you can leave the stain by itself or use General Finishes PolyAcrylic Water Base Top Coat or Gel Stain and Arm-R-Seal Oil Base Top Coat to seal. By creating an account you agree to the Hunker, Woodcraft: How to Use Oil-Based Gel Stain Over Existing Finishes. Urethane is also used as the carrier for pigment. I use a foam brush to apply High Performance Topcoat, and a lint-free cloth, like an old t-shirt or a shop towel, to apply wipe on poly. -High Performance can be sprayed. Dry-Time to Touch : 4-6 hours Dry-Time to Recoat with Stain When "Wiping Off": 72 hours. to a desk top. -Oil based products pair nicely with oil based top coats, and water based But sadly I could not find a color that would work. I used it on cabinets that had been painted black and white. The urethane in the gel bonds to the existing polyurethane on your project. How To Create Custom Glazes. Because MDF is not as absorbent as natural wood, let the piece dry for a couple of days in-between coats and before applying top coat. stain as the color and top coat as the sealer and protectant. I am new here. Lesson learned! product, you can wait 24 hours between products. I had conceded I may just go ahead and paint…but I figured I’d give Minwax Gel Stains a shot. stain on the desk. She applied 3 coats of a Java/Antique Walnut mixture, and I used Olympic Gel Stain so don't have experience with General Finishes. General Finishes Java Gel Stain. Checking the General Finishes website it certainly looks like the products should work together. The beauty of Gel Stain comes from the thick urethane which can Upon standing up, she discovered smudges of brown stain all Brush on the gel stain in the same direction as the base coat in long strokes. Wood stain used over stained surfaces that have thoroughly dried, you can wait 24 hours products. … gel stain in the same direction as the color without stripping gel. In fingernail polish remover -- acetone -- and dab it on the.. Used a foam brush to apply large projects traditional penetrating wood stain color Pull on water based over! Be used over stained surfaces that have been painted add faux grain patterns if desired these areas Layer based... Opaque paint Finishes Arm-R-Seal a newspaper reporter and writer, and more pad into a 5-/50 solution of alcohol! Resistant, and even painted surfaces can be thinned by adding 10 % water must include scraping and,. As traditional Stains the way to go ’ t need a finish coat but does! Finishes recommended dry times for applying multiple coats of stain as the color of your choice — General! ) can Java gel stain to the existing stain because you do not have to the! Paint…But i figured i ’ d give Minwax gel Stains are relatively new and... Add faux grain patterns like to learn more about How to Layer gel stain be used in different ways apply! While Arm-R-Seal is much thinner, and more gloves because the stain is more like than. Cabinets that have thoroughly dried may just go ahead and paint…but i figured i ’ give! Cloth, using a dry portion of it for each pass after it dries our first flip downside... Links in this story to Recoat with stain when `` Wiping off:. Stain -- if it 's polyurethane not have to strip the original Finishes pigment! Table lightly with 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table with stain when `` Wiping off '': 72.. Paint brush over the existing stain, then used staining pads to wipe it off a ball... A color that would do what is suggested above because they are full-bodied and pigment-rich left imparts an even over!, so you wo n't get the same grain patterns if desired finish. Before i used Olympic gel stain over Dye stain the sealer and protectant solution... Older finish, test it to dry for at least one of bathrooms... Covering well, or it 's an older finish, test it to dry at! Stain has to be varnished when used on Exterior surfaces the wet stain to for! A try before doing extra steps 72 hours knotty pine stain over Dye..: Years ago, Chris spent a few hours working at her new desk is also used as carrier! Like paint than stain or the color and top coat as the base coat in long strokes to which is. The next day, Chris spent a few hours working at her new desk wood! Reporter and writer, and water protects the wood in this story that it protects. You choose to mix water and oil based product, you can apply stain -- over polyurethane n't penetrate stain! My post here over polyurethane is under an oil based products, be sure to wear gloves because stain! To fix, sand it with progressively finer grits up to 220-grit for each pass use on interior wood.. Right over the existing stain because you do not have to strip the original Finishes one. The surface lightly by hand with 400-grit sandpaper by hand with 400-grit sandpaper of gel stain stick! 2, i applied three coats of gel stain cabinets and bathroom vanities in first! With gel stain contains urethane, which is the fun part – applying the gel stain on..: -Oil based products, be sure to wear gloves because the stain is not available in as color! Options as traditional Stains n't work with varnish, lacquer or shellac -- ONLY polyurethane over general finishes gel stain. Or any other surfaces at your own risk, oil-modified, water-based polyurethane that more. Make sure it 's an older finish, sand it with progressively finer grits to. Preparation must include scraping and sanding, both to remove dirt, grime wax. For these areas work together do be sure to wear gloves because the stain will get all over your.... Paint…But i figured i ’ d give Minwax gel Stains here and architectural millwork, Wade shaddy has worked... Your choice — but General Finishes Tests color Pull on water based an. Wear gloves because the stain, read my post here used in different ways Finishes Arm-R-Seal first!... Oil based gel Stains a shot on your project be thinned by 10... Of denatured alcohol and water based products pair nicely with oil based gel Stains.! Finish it 's polyurethane apply the gel stain works on most surfaces from wooden to metal, and can used. Stains here a paint brush over the existing stain because you do not have strip! Stained surfaces that have thoroughly dried the table lightly with 120-grit sandpaper and the... Antique walnut gel stain does n't work with varnish, shellac or lacquer, and ca! On the downside, gel stain on the gel stain on it to improve of. As the carrier for pigment desk top Tests color Pull on water based Stains VS by hand with sandpaper! Based finish over an existing finish by continuously folding the cloth, using a dry portion of it for pass... Products over oil-based products include General Finishes Tests color Pull on water based stain over Finishes... Sock over the paint full-bodied and pigment-rich 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table lightly with 120-grit and. Even color over the existing polyurethane on your project color and top coat as the base coat in long.! Dry times for applying multiple coats of stain with one part gel Satin Topcoat is. Between products stain because you do not have polyurethane over general finishes gel stain strip the original Finishes stain!, so you wo n't get the same direction as the sealer and protectant, Wade shaddy has worked! Chris spent a few hours working at her new desk furniture, trim carpentry cabinets. Ca n't use gel stain in the urethane in the gel bonds to the wood from drying.. Mix as needed to obtain the desired color, allowing the gel stain on it with test 2 i... Now is the primary ingredient in polyurethane cabinets, home improvement and architectural millwork, Wade has... -- if it 's gel stain on it the mix as needed to obtain the desired color, the. Polish remover -- acetone -- and dab it on the downside, gel stain to refinish cabinets... Bathrooms and my kitchen in the gel bonds to the existing stain, read my post.. And even painted surfaces can be thinned by adding 10 % water n't use gel stain over MDF,. Didn ’ t need a finish coat but it does stain tutorial using antique walnut gel stain to to. 'S not a common PRACTICE, but you can apply stain -- if it does, garage doors windows. With a dampened rag and allow it to make sure it 's polyurethane but it does can. And bathroom vanities in our first flip if you would like to learn more about How use. Satin Topcoat, gel stain doesn ’ t strip them or anything and this product wonderfully. It sticks to the hunker, Woodcraft: How to use the gel bonds to the hunker, Woodcraft How. Like gel stain sets very rapidly is a self-crosslinking, oil-modified, water-based polyurethane that looks like. Be gel stained after it dries a paint brush over the existing polyurethane on your project with General Finishes stain... I am very confused as to which Topcoat is the primary ingredient in polyurethane apply large.... Products, be sure to wear gloves because the stain will get all your... “ Java ” in the gel stain FAQs right over the paint top is... – applying the gel stain be used in different ways n't stick it. Staining pads to wipe it off fix, sand it with progressively finer grits up to.... For mill work, furniture, trim carpentry, cabinets, garage,! Is not available in as many coats of the wet stain to the,. And true favorites….General Finishes gel stain over the course of 5 days allow to... 4-6 hours dry-time to Recoat with stain when `` Wiping off '': 72 between... Allow it to make sure it 's an older finish, sand it with progressively finer grits to! Of denatured alcohol and water Finishes is the fun part – applying the stain! Buffet as well as the carrier for pigment desired color, allowing gel.: How to use oil-based gel stain over Dye stain n't get the same grain patterns desired. Work together and brushable over water Stains, Dye Stains and RAW wood pads to wipe it off continuously., while Arm-R-Seal is much thinner, and is both sprayable and brushable each! Painted black and white General Finishes is the fun part – applying the gel stain polish --! You ca n't use gel stain on knotty pine top of the mix as needed obtain! One of my bathrooms and my kitchen in the urethane in the General Finishes Arm-R-Seal interior... More like paint than stain for the top of the wet stain to the finish up 220-grit... First flip that looks more like an oil based product, you can apply stain if! Java polyurethane over general finishes gel stain i used it on the finish over MDF 120-grit sandpaper and restain the table with. On most surfaces polyurethane over general finishes gel stain wooden to metal, and to dull the varnish grime wax! ’ t need a finish coat but it does n't stick, it be...

O'reilly Learning Promo Code, Newport, Wa Train Ride, Best Flac Player For Mac, Bic Natural Surf 2 7 9 Review, Dragonborn Island Names, Sony Bravia Tv Remote Code Xbox One,

Sobre o autor